A bit shy or perplex? Don’t worry: with patience, discipline and perseverance Zen meditation will achieve wonders in your mind and body.
What is Zen?
The time has come for you to discover and enjoy the wonders of Zen Buddhism and Zen meditation. Zen means meditation in Japanese. Zen was created around 500 CE in China. It is a branch of Buddhism created by the Buddha (nickname for the awakened one) around 2500 years ago after 50 years of verbal teaching. Meditation is the core of Zen practice and reading zillion books on Zen will never help you in your spiritual journey.
Zen Buddhism is a philosophical way of life that will bring you serenity and inner peace for the rest of your life. Because of its simplicity and non-dogmatic approach it is one of the fastest growing religion around the world. Zen Buddhism does not have any gods, belief, doctrine, concept, opinion and judgment. Anyone can practice regardless of her/his race, ethnic group or religion. Simple down to earth common sense is the rule.
Having a Zen Mind is being mindful moment to moment to what is REAL and being indifferent to what is not. What is REAL is what we see, hear, touch, smell, taste, your body, what you are doing and your surrounding IN THE PRESENT MOMENT …with no though, no judgment, no concept, no idea, no opinion attached since most of them are either an illusion or a deceptive trap created by our ego-centered mind.
Think about this: You will become a Zen practitioner when you will be able to differentiate the REAL from the rest. It takes practice, practice, practice under guidance.It takes also discipline,patience, perseverance, time and – above all- a non judgmental approach of your progress. Zen practice associates the following
1- Practice of daily meditation + weekly group practice. Meditation is the core of Zen.
2- Being mindful to 1) What is real and letting go what is not. 2) Our 5 senses. 3) What we do. 4) What we think. 5) Our environment including people.
3- Proper understanding such as:
- Life, people, events and things are what they are and not what we want them to be.
- Our ego-centered mind is the main source of our unhappiness and dissatisfaction.
- No living being has a permanent, independent, separate self entity.
- Everything is a transient manifestation submitted to endless changes and part of a global entity which is beyond human comprehension.
4- Proper behavior including:
Generosity, compassion, patience, perseverance, love, ethical attitude, concentration,meditation and wisdom.
What is the purpose of Zen?
- To experience and be mindful to what is real and let go what is illusion as deceptive.
- To achieve through meditation:
- The practice a state of active awareness that is consciousness which is beyond and above our thinking state.
- A clear, peaceful and tamed mind bringing serenity and happiness.
- A control of our detrimental and deceptive ego-self which, dominating our mind, is the main source of our negative feelings such as dissatisfactions , unhappiness caused by negative feelings such as anxiety, anger, frustration,illusion, resentment, ongoing desires, etc…
What is Zen practice?
“Zen practice is bringing our mind and body together in the present moment to reflect mindfully and without judgment on living beings, events and surroundings as they are in reality and not as our ego-centered thoughts want them to be”.
Zen meditation is the simplest form of meditation.
It is a physical and mental focusing practice aiming at relaxing then controlling mind and body .
- sit on a chair or cushion in a still posture and straight back.
- focus on the exhale part of your breathing as the mind anchor.
- Be mindful to your incoming thoughts (they always pop-in even after zillion years of practice) then let them go.
- go back to your focusing point.
Repeat these 4 stages over and over during your meditation. Nothing more (by the way Zen means meditation in Japanese). Your Zen teacher is just your GPS showing you the directions and you are the driver. Meditating an average of 20min. / day is recommended. Weekly group meditation is critical being twice as effective as the solo one. For more info. please click on ZEN KEYS then on “What is Zen meditation?” on the right hand side post menu.
What does meditation will achieve?
You will discover your inner wonders by quieting and controlling your ego-centered mind. Is it hard ? No as long you have the will, patience, discipline, perseverance, a non judgmental attitude toward your daily practice and a teacher to help you and to “reboot” your practice at least once a week during our group session. The teacher will also assess your progress if the request is made. Group meditation is at least twice as effective
Meditation is also an excellent way to treat our chronic stress. See “Meditation for stress management”. A handout on stress & meditation is available.
What kind of group practice do we offer?
Many key points are repeated over and over because of their importance. Enjoy the reading and see you soon during one of our group meditation classes. We have currently 2 of group sessions per week. Our classes are free, very friendly with casual chat to socialize.
Please sign up with www.meetup.com/oakville-zen-meditation-meetup/ Again, it is free.