The Zen tree has a trunk, 6 branches and 3 main roots.
- The Trunk represents the Meditation.
- The 6 Main branches represent the contemplation.
- The 3 Main roots represent the experience thru Mindfulness.
The Trunk represents the Meditation.
The 6 Main branches represent the contemplation. (Clockwise starting with the left lower branch). Contemplating 6 realities that are also the opposite of our main illusions.
- Nothing lasts. Everything is transient.
- Nothing can be controlled…. almost nothing.
- Nothing has a permanent, unique, independent, separate, unique self entity (emptiness of self) and everything is interconnected & interbeing.
- “Now” (the Present) is the only reality of time: the past is dead and the future is unborn.
- Things are what they are – like a reflecting mirror- and not what we want them to be.
- Our ego mind is the main source of our dissatisfaction and suffering causing attachments, emotions and illusions (1 to 5).
The 3 Main roots represent the experience thru Mindfulness. (From left to right). Experiencing moment to moment a non judgmental mindfulness to our:
- What we are currently doing,
- Our 5 senses,
- Thoughts including ideas, opinions and judgment,
- Present time and place,
- Living beings,
Ven. Ji Gong Sunim. July 7th, 2015